Home page of this blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting ready for Kernel 3.0



To install linux kernel 3.0 in Ubuntu I am building Kernel 3.0 with corei7 optimization. Before this I tried rc1 and rc7 of kernel 3.0

Installing rc1 of kernel 3 worked but dkms of default nvidia drivers which came with Ubuntu Natty 11.04 failed

Then I installed latest nvidia drivers from ppa


To install from this PPA in Ubuntu is simple

first add the PPA using

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates


then followed by

sudo apt-get update

then upgrading the installed nvidia drivers to ensure the latest nvidia drivers are installed

After this installation of dkms modules for nvidia drivers went fine when I tried with rc7

Below is the screenshot showing the latest nvidia drivers installed from the x updates ppa


Below is the kernel 3.0 compilation in progress (see the processor temperature in the right bottom )


Screenshot shows, Installing the built kernel 3.0


To get/download the above i7 native kernel visit my next blog post

Want to try core2 optimized as you dont have i3/i5/i7, then visit this blog post

3 comments:

  1. Does this work on amd phenom 6 core?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donno, I can do a build with phenom, please tell me the march,

    shall I use march=barcelona ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for kernel linux install guides in my ubuntu.

    ReplyDelete